Wednesday, September 10, 2008

House Hunting teaches Clare more about London Transport

Firstly, the tube here is ridiculously amazing. The trains come about as frequently the queen drinks tea (i assume all the time?). I love it - as soon as you step onto the platform you wait max max max 5 minutes (often less). That's about the minimum in Toronto (and in Toronto, the train going in the other direction ALWAYS seems to come first :(

My fascination with the tube and their stations has been compounded by my house hunt where every house listing is categorized by tube station.....
You know you're Canadian when:
"Barking Station" makes you chuckle
"Tooting Beck Station" makes you giggle
and
"Cockfosters Station" makes you want to fall onto the grotty tube floor and roll around laughing
also
"Canada Water Station" makes you want to move there out of sheer nationalism or maybe just familiarity in general even though god knows what actually is there....

I'm that phase of house hunting where I'm sure I'll never find anywhere to live. Plus my knowledge of areas and neighbourhoods is nonexistent. I feel like there are a lot of places out there but 75% of them are like....in outlying areas. Another 10% are in sketchy areas and then that leaves about 15%, 50% of which i didn't think were in sketchy areas but are, so that leaves 7.5%, 90% of which are crappy. Whatever is left is where i'll end up living - cross your fingers for me.

Have I mentioned that blogging is a welcome distraction to actually finding jobs and houses...mmmm...yes....

Pictures for today are from last night's journey to Mile End where the girls made dinner for the boys in exchange for the lovely dinner that the boys made the girls last time....Hurrah for friends! Hurrah for nids' fantastic sushi and holly's decadent dessert! (did you like my incredibly British use of the word Hurrah...that's right...the transformation is beginning people!)


1 comment:

Darth Mittens said...

Frig, I used "hurrah" in my last entry too. That's kinda weird.

I want to live at Toot station or whatever it's called! Cockscrow Flume or whatever! Nice. I also want some of that dessert please.

I'm back in Toronto. The new roomie seems pretty nice, but she is no Clare. I missed you very much today, the house doesn't feel like the house without you. Reals. :(