About to head off to bed but thought to write a bit about today and listen to some Brendan Canning before sleep and before work takes over my day tomorrow and the next day... Quite a busy day...I woke up feeling a lot better than I did yesterday (yay) but still not 100% :(
No house viewings scheduled for today...so I did do some searching but it all seems so fruitless at this point...I don't know...
Sooooooo I thought I might as well have some fun on my day off since who knows when the next time I'll get to have that will be???
Anyway, some backstory...Nidhee is off in Spain and the hot water in her building has been turned off this week. Residents are being invited to shower over at the sister residence a few blocks away. As a completely illegally squatting non-resident, obviously this offer’s not extended to me.
However, Nids' friend AK, was moving out of his place this morning and had some plates and pots for me. So when I woke up I asked him if I could come over, get the stuff and while there, shower at his place. As I called him at 9, and he had to be out of his res by 10 I booked it on over to his residence, signed myself in as a guest and awkwardly showered in yet another residence stall without the luxury of a place to keep my stuff or the space to change in - yay bathroom stalls...wow I'm like more than just one, but in fact maybe several steps on my way to being or understanding homelessness....
So I figured to counterpoint this experience I would take myself out for a cushy breakfast at the British Museum Cafeteria - by no means really cushy as it is basically an expensive cafeteria but the British Museum name and the Great Hall location plus kind of fancy-ish, overpriced, good-but-not-that-good food satisfied this morning's criteria. here's a pic of the great hall.

After which I strolled through one of their main floor exhibits (this is the beauty of the free museum, you can go see an exhibit, wander through and then come back another day to see it again or some more, as often and as long as you want - cause it's free!) Anyway, here are some pics of the death and dying exhibit.
I especially like the dressed up skeleton witch things

But I also love the BC totem poles!

The main piece on display is cradle to grave...pretty cool...


After this I met up again with AK who pointed out this corner where the first gas station in london used to be - now across the street (to the left in the picture) they have these amazing parking spots - only for electric cars where you can park for up to 3 hours and charge your car while it's parked....it's the future people! Ironic tho huh - special electric car charging parking instead of a gas station...

AK really wanted to go check out this amazing exhibit at the welcome trust so off we went to see the...skeletons! ya! that's right! real live (well obviously not live) skeletons they found in london while digging things up in various areas for tube stuff and other stuff too i guess...anyway, the idea is that random areas in london used to be graveyards and burial grounds and stuff cause london is so old and everything and all these different people lived and died here and were buried and then had things built over top of them and then got accidentally dug up again sort of thing....and then they made it into an exhibit and i went to see them...it was creepsville yo - there were kid skeletons, skeletons from roman times 200-300 AD, there was even the youngest skeleton found in britain (a 22 week old feutus inside it's mother's skeleton...) - i couldn't take pics of the skeletons....here's a pic of the outside of the exhibit and this strange art piece stuck to the main hall ceiling that aly wanted to mimic and have me document.


After this we trekked back to aly's residence to pick up his stuff and my new stuff that he had been keeping in his friend's room all day and since he was meeting friends for dinner, about 8 of us hauled the stuff across russell square to john astor house and then went for icco pizza - pictures to follow of our motley crew - most of us only knew 1 or 2 people in the group but it turned out to be a really fun dinner - goes to show the power of icco pizza!
After pizza, holly and i decided we needed beers and ice cream, so we dragged aly to tesco where a new checkout lady offered us tesco shopper discount cards - obviously we were all excited by this prospect and readily agreed that we all needed one - this also merited a picture - but our checkout lady was camera shy so she ducked out of the picture (left) holly and AK (right) were totally into it tho.

Work tomorrow and Thursday (Nidhee gets back Thursday night and is out of here Saturday)....what will I do?
1 comment:
great post! the museum stuff is totally amazing! the skeletons sound incredible.
Post a Comment