Sunday, September 7, 2008

things i have bought in london

aside from my tesco adventure...
there have been other incidents of exchange of money for goods of note this past week. here are two.

1) Primark...i think i mentioned this earlier. It was a religious experience. I am not kidding around here. This place is overwhelming to the max. It is like 9 H and Ms combined into one giant megastore of cheap cheap awesome clothes. Every section (T shirts, pants, sweaters, dresses, coats, skirts, underwear, socks, shoes, bags, accessories, kids, guys, home) is the size of a small north american store and the selection within each section is ridiculous - there is so much to choose from and everything to choose from is awesome. And everything is cheap...have I mentioned this? Of course this makes it like a total zoo. At any given time there are about a bagillion people in the store and the lineups for the changerooms go for miles. There are at least 7 cashier banks each of 10 cashiers each. People get fed up and jostle each other for mirrors on the floor to try on coats and tops over what they're wearing. I told Nidhee that this might indeed be a defining moment in my life - life before Primark and then life after Primark.

Here is a picture of our Primark shopping bags....

Have I mentioned that I believe consumerism is evil?....I am a bad bad person....
2) Here's a little thing i picked up on Tottenham Court Road...



I know it may look like an innocuous cell phone or "mobile" as they're called over here but...this is no ordinary phone! Oh, no. Look closer and you will see the pure seething evil that is this telecommunication device. I hate it and it hates me. We do not get along. It makes annoying sounds at the most inappropriate times, is too small one way and too fat the other way, is completely unmanageable and difficult to navigate with silly cartoon icons and inexplicable alerts...I could go on...anyway...hopefully our days together are coming to a close...as soon as I am a tried and true resident I will be signing up to a snazzy contract with a schnitzy plan and slammin' phone!!!
(of course this was by no means helped by my very recent realization that when I had sent everyone I know in Toronto my phone number...it was wrong...so...some incidents of phone confusion may be put down to that mix-up...but by no means all of them!!!)

1 comment:

Darth Mittens said...

The thought of 9 giant H&Ms in one big store makes me want to run so fast to the UK that I wouldn't need a plane - my speed would be such that my feet would skim me across the ocean like one of those weird lizard things.